Suggest a Project
We are always looking for more mentors/clients and projects!
Suggest a Project
The ideal EcoStudio projects would:
- Focus on a project in your 1-5 year workplan. This project should be something that your organization plans to do rather than a project you hope to gain funding for in the future.
- Have a significant sustainability impact. This project should help to save energy, conserve water, protect a natural resource, reduce waste, raise awareness about an environmental or sustainability challenge, etc.
- Have a dedicated project partner who is willing to spend at least 1-2 hours a week for the semester to mentor the student(s) working on their project
What Types of Projects Do We Offer?
- Internships – these are semester-long or longer and typically involve 10-20 hours a week of work. Internships can be paid or un-paid. Students are expected to spend the bulk of their time at the mentor/client's location or in the field in internships. In internships, the client serves as the primary mentor for the student, though the student will still have a faculty advisor. Typically, internships are worth three credit hours, pass/fail.
- Independent Research – these are semester-long, typically 3-6 hours per week, and allow students to work with mentors/clients ranging from campus operations and facilities staff or off-campus companies, municipalities, or non-profits. Students can work on their research at the client's location, in the field, or at the EcoStudio. Students are paired with faculty or graduate-student advisors. Typically, independent research projects are worth one to two credit hours, pass/fail.
- Guided Research – these are semester-long (or longer) projects that are undertaken in partnership with UNC faculty. These projects are the ideal foundation for, and may lead to, a Senior Honors thesis. Academic credit is for 1-6 credit hours, letter grade only.
- Class Projects – these are part of the syllabus of a course, such as capstones. For more information about environmental capstone projects, contact Carol Hee at email@example.com.
Questions about how to develop a successful EcoStudio project proposal?
Please contact Brian Naess (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Megan Lane (email@example.com)
Past and Present Clients
Send an email to Brian Naess (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Megan Lane (email@example.com).